1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gotta love a small country town...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mangled, May 11, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We live in a very small, community orientated town.

Due to the recent hike in gas prices, I've been dealing almost exclusively with the little local mom and pop type businesses, and have gotten to know a lot of people.

With Spring being here, I've been to our local hardware store, three maybe four times a week to get little odds and ends to finish projects or do quick emergency repairs.

It's a old place, not real clean or organized, but I tell you, that old fellow has *everything* I've needed to get every time I've been in there. I've gotten chatty with him, and when I mentioned we had laying hens, he was so excited, and asked if I'd start bringing him eggs, or he'd stop in if he knew where we were.

So, I've got a new customer for eggs, and he stops up maybe twice a week for a dozen, and I take him a dozen up to the shop if I'm going and haven't seen him in a few days.

Now, I take my egg sign down on Saturday night, so most folks don't come up for eggs on Sundays, but here he came up the drive about 15 minutes ago. I thought it was odd, but he's a nice old fellow, so it's no big deal.

I opened the door and greeted him, Hey Paul, need a dozen? He says, nope, but I've got something for you, and pulls three rolls of chicken wire out of his truck.

Now, I've asked and he has SWORN he doesn't carry it. No market for it, he says, took him forever to sell the last bunch, so he didn't order more. Well, seems his son, who used to help him run the place, didn't sell the last stuff, so he put it back in the store room, and when Paul ran across these three dusty old rolls, he thought of me and brought them up to give to me.

Wouldn't take a thing for them, and even insisted on paying for his eggs.

God bless him, now I got to figure out a way to thank him proper.

Em

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    What a great story. There are a lot of good people out there. [​IMG]

3. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    give him some raptor eggs of yours!

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Now wasn't that a nice thing for him to do! On Mother's Day too.
    I just have a feeling that you now will be a loyal customer of this little old time hardware store.
    To repay him you could always try to get him to start his own little flock, if he is near retirement he might enjoy it, you would lose an egg customer but I can just picture him out there with his own chickens. I just love hearing stories like this, thanks for posting it.

5. nutmeggie

nutmeggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I love this story. What a great guy!!! I hope you find a great way to pay him back. Maybe the next time you have chicks (if you have any) he would want some.

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    The world would be a better place if we all lived in a small town. Sounds just like something that would happen around here. Can you imagine him doing that to someone from New York City? They'd freak! You're not even supposed to make eye contact there let alone be friendly.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Customer service at it's best. Where I grew up there is a small hardware store I still do most of my hardware shopping at. It's 35 miles away but when I'm visiting my mom I stop in with my 'list'.

8. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Bake him something. Or if you can, or put up jams and jellies, give him a jar or two.
    Homemade Thank You gifts are much better!

Jean

9. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh i bet he would enjoy some baked goods!!

That is a very nice story! What part of Western PA are you in? I have relatives in Eldred PA.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Fabulous story! Thanks for sharing that today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by