Gotta love it!!

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
My roo acts like he can count. He lets all the ladies go into the coop & sits out side looking into the coops windows where they roost & sure enough when their all their he enters.

lol.png

That's a real man
big_smile.png
My roos are great but they don't hang around waiting for all the ladies to be seated first! Your roo is a keeper
smile.png

Quote:
He would. I introduced a rescued Dominique to my flock & she was getting pecked by the others so she was scared to go into the coop to roost. She would hide in the woods. All the others would get on the roost & my roo would go get her making all those weird sounds & she would follow him into the coop. It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. Here's her hiding.
63768_iddy_growing_up_003.jpg

We have a barred rock roo, Stuart. He only has 3 hens to manage but he does a fabulous job. Yes he counts his hens no matter where they are. When it's time to "come in" he won't go into the pen until the three are there. He is always the last to eat treats given them and actually feeds his girls. When its time to bed down he herds them into the pen and is ALWAYS the last to enter. If one comes out another door he comes back out to get her. He is a great protector, however, he is attacking anyone who goes near his hens and the hens are extremely friendly. So when free ranging the hens will come running when they see someone and he's right behind them to protect to the death. He has attacked me more than once and cut my oldests sons hand open pretty bad. Usually, when my sons sees the attack coming he grabs him and carries him around in front of his girls. That deters him for a short time but then he's in protective mode again. We just carry a broom with us for protection. Yup gotta love it.

My White Rock Roo is very atune to that custom,he makes sure all 10 of his girls are in for the evening. He was disregarding the new girls(10wks) until last night when he made sure all 6 of them were in as well. So uniform in his manor,he looks around goes under the coop then comes up the ramp and pokes his head in and looks around. He comes thru the door and then stands there in case one of the girls try to go back out. So chevalris yet romantic.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom