Gotta love neighbors!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WickeeChickee, Jul 24, 2013.

1. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Here's a new one for y'all.
    Our neighbor, who used to come over and adore our chickens as chicks is hell bent on creating a feud between our houses. Why, you ask? It must be because of the rooster crowing. Nope, that's not a problem. Ok, is it the rare cluck she can hear from our pullets? No, not that. Want to know what her beef is?

Here it is:

MY IDIOTIC NEIGHBOR IS MAD BECAUSE WHEN OUR CHICKENS GO NEXT TO OUR SIX FOOT PRIVACY FENCE (WHICH MY HUSBAND BUILT, BTW), HER THREE YAPPY TERRIER MIX DOGS BARK AT THE FENCE.

Yep, that's the problem she has. HER dogs bark at stuff in MY yard. They also bark maniacally when I, my kids, my dogs, or anything else is in our yard. So yes, while I could solve the barking at chickens problem by not letting them free range, how, pray tell, should I solve the barking at my kids and family issue? Shall I keep my yard off limits to my own family to spare this moron the agony of hearing her OWN dogs barking?

The funny thing is, my dogs do not bark at her dogs. My dogs consider themselves to be loftily above incessant nonsense barking.
    Another funny thing to note, this person moved here recently from a trailer park!! What!? Nothing in her trailer park triggered her three dogs to bark? May the good Lord give me strength to remain graceful about this and not take the feud-starting bait!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Omg.... that's the weirdest... craziest.... rudest neighbor... I have nothing to say... that's mad.... I can'tstastand such people....

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    The only thing I can suggest is something to block the view. Lattice is not expensive and you can buy a few panels at a time from Lowes and Home Depot. Simplicity is a beautiful hedge rose available from Jackson Perkins. It takes very little care. Certain varieties of Star Jasmine climb and do a nice job of screening, too. Plus it smells nice. As for your screaming neighbor ignore her as much as possible. You can also smile sweetly and thank her for her opinion. That will drive her nuts. Some people love a fight. If one issue is solved they will find another one. It takes some of the starch out of them if you don't fight back and don't respond to their hissy fits. If it were me, I would get some business cards from various realtors around town and give a few of them to her from time to time.

2 people like this.
  4. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    I don't know how much more I can block the view as we have a six foot privacy fence around our yard. I mean we're talking about 1/8" cracks between fence panels, lol!
    My current approach is deliberate obtuseness (if that's a word) and when she tells me the chickens are driving her dogs crazy, I say, "Gotta love terriers, haha!"

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    That's as good a response as any. Plus it puts the ball squarely back in her court.

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    If she thinks the chickens drive her dogs crazy............you could have your kids play dodge ball.......up against the privacy fence. (evil laugh)

Really, sounds like you have your hands full with this nut case. I had an aunt that was the neighbor everyone loved to hate. A neighborhood dog was barking one evening out in the street in front of her house and she took it some raw hamburger with a valium in it. She told me the dog fell asleep right there in the street and she got some sleep too! [​IMG]

7. TERRY4

TERRY4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Your neighbor needs to train her stupid dogs! That would make me crazy. I can not stand dogs barking beyond the normal protection bark, then stopping. I know what you mean. Our elderly neighbors have small dogs, and they get manic when someone comes around. Most of them are in the house now, and old. But they have a poor young pug dog, that they tie on a 10 foot lead daily. He even barks when we drive out the drive, across from them. That poor thing deserves a family that will exercise him, neuter him, and play with him. He's gone mad IMO. Sad!

Your neighbor dogs need something to do. Terriers are quite active. When she isn't looking maybe throw them some chew toys or something. Lol.. She'll wonder where they came from, but may notice they are more quiet.

8. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Yes, her idea of training them is to scream "LEAVE IT!!" like a crazy person every time they even whine, so they hear her manic screaming and think something is REALLY wrong and bark even more lol!
    Actually my husband is encouraging our daughters to use her side of the fence as a soccer goal!! Mwahahahahha!!!!

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Oh my gosh, there is nothing worse than a horrible neighbor!! You should not have to bend for that silly neighbor at all. Especially if its because HER dogs are barking at you!! She should bring her dogs in, when you and your family are out. That will put a stop to it, real quick!! Hopefully, she doesn't leave her dogs outside all the time. I wish you the best!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. MalMom

MalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Colorado
    Sounds like my neighbors in the back. They have a Jack Russel. I can't even open my back door without that **** dog barking. But my dog is an escape artist and they have never complained about him getting out so I keep my mouth shut about their yappy dog. I keep hoping another neighbor will get tired of it and do something for me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by