Gotta love those broodies!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm Frenzy, May 14, 2009.

1. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    So I have 5 game hens that I keep just because they go broody ALL THE TIME, and lets face it, I would much rather have a hen do it then me. So I have 1 girl that just hatched 2 babies, and another girl on 5 silkie eggs. I have been getting not alot of game eggs though, actually none in the past week or so, and I was wondering what was going on. Well...I found the "super secret hidding spot" today!!![​IMG] All the girls were hiding the eggs from me, and one went broody and is sitting like a champ on the nest. Unbelievable. The only problem is that she has 10 eggs, and she's so small. Does anyone know how many eggs an old english game bantam can sit on comfortably? I can take some from her and put them in the bator, but I just wanted to check first. Usually I only put like 5 or 6 under them at a time, but they out smarted me this time![​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I don't have an answer for you, but one of my bantam just had 3 babies hatch and we are waiting for more. [​IMG]

I love broodies too.

3. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey does anyone know if BRs go broody?

4. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I don't know. Sorry.

5. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I've had BR's for a LOOONNNGGG time and have never had one go broody yet. now my Black Rocks, that's a different story, I have 2 broodies right now. That's just my personal experience though. maybe someone else will know something. [​IMG]

6. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    that's so sweet that they have a super secret spot! as for how many they can sit on, i don't know, i have seen hens at a friend's house sitting on more eggs than ten but it wasn't necessarily a thought-out situation...

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have a small game hen that is a broody. She hatched 5 chicks out of 14 eggs last winter. Since, I have only let her sit on about 7 or 8 eggs.

eta: I have a BR hen that I think is a broody. She keeps trying to steal the real broodys chicks when they hatch.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  8. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Well I don't have a full answer for you but my game hen (a standard) sat on like 12 eggs and hatched 9 babies, so I am sure your hen should be fine with the eggs she has!
    Now for a question here....my other game hen descided like yesterday to stay in her nest & is still on it tonight so I think she has now gone broody, as far as eggs go right now the most she could have had under her was one as I always took the eggs. Last night I left the egg to test her, since she was still sitting I got 4 eggs from my mixed pen flock and put them under her. Does anyone think she will except them? I put them under her at dusk. [​IMG]

9. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Okay, thanks!

10. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Without a doubt in my mind I say the answer is yes. My broody game hens don't care at all. I could put horse turds under them, and they would sit. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by