Gotta love those Buff Orps!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hinkjc, Nov 28, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I was out taking some pics of my birds today and thought you all might enjoy looking at some too. I just love the buff orps most of all and enjoy spending time with them on a beautiful day (altho a bit windy today). [​IMG]

buff pullets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

rooster:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Mama & Blondie (hens):
    [​IMG]

Cockerel w/pullets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cockerel dancing for pullet:
    [​IMG]

Young cockerel:
    [​IMG]

Random pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Beautiful! Love a nice sunny day with Buffs roaming around. I have snow and a blustery snow day yesterday! brrrrrr........

3. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Oh Sandy, I know what you mean. It is quite blustery here today too and we got some snow showers last night. Thank goodness it didn't stay around. These girls (and guys) really make a sunny nice that much sunnier!

4. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Love the pictures of the buffs. It brightens up my very glooomy day we are having in Ca.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They are so huge, how wonderful that would be... my hatchery BO is tiny and has white on her ears.. good thing she is a good layer.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The yard was covered, cabin country had 4 inches and more!!! My chickens were not happy and wouldn't go on the ground! lol Had to put straw down for the wimps to walk on! My breed coop is done but....lol the runs are not ready yet! Yikes!

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I love love Bo's and yours are gorgeous! their fat fluffy butts are my favorite!!! how do you get them so fat looking? Mine ahve food provided 24/7 scratch treats everyday-fresh fruit and veggies everyday and I even make then bananna bread Zuchini bread-left over dinner scraps-???

8. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Over the years I worked on size through heavy culling, but nothing special otherwise. Free choice chicken feed, handful of scratch and black oil sunflower seeds daily and some odds and ends table scraps now and then, and lots of free ranging to keep them in shape. Folks often tell me they've never seen chickens so big when they see them, but never thought anything of it. I love big birds!

9. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    They have really good color too.

10. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:Yes beautiful birds! Our BO's are from a hatchery and I definitely see a difference as ours have specks of black in their tails. I know that isn't SQ! They were the 1st to lay eggs here though. Gotta love the BO's! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by