Gotta question about broody hen.........is it too cold to let her?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by okiechick57, Dec 13, 2007.

1. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of haleyluna's bantams that I am caring for is broody...and yes she is sitting on an egg....has been for 4 days now...........will it be okay? I am beyond excited to have one go broody...but concerned?what do you all think? should I , could I bring her in until it is hatched?I am afriad she will stop sitting if I do that?

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I had a broody silkie sitting on 6 eggs. There was no way for me to give her the space she needed and safety from the other birds, so i brought her in. I have a very large cat carrier, and so I put shavings down, made a nest for her, and set her in on her clutch. It worked great for me...and all six hatched out at 2 in the morning! (of course) They stayed in the house, in my bedroom, until they were 4 day's old, then I booted them out, as they got stinky! This was back in August, so they were alright.

We really enjoyed her in the house, and clean-up wasn't too bad as I have hardwood in my room. Hope this helps you out!

Tanya

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i had 2 that were setting and they hatched out in cold and rainy weather.i lost them all.i hope you have better luck

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just went out and took the egg.......its just too cold....why make us all go through that [​IMG]......... hopefully she will go broody again in spring......thanks all [​IMG]

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes darl, good move, you dont need any more sadness right now. She will get over it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by