Gotta tell on my own ignorance

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SteveH, May 14, 2010.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I have what at first appeared to be a sick CX in a brooder of mixed breeds . I went to town and bought several things , including medicated feed , water soluable vitamins/electrlytes , and wood shavings because I was tired of replacing straw so often . Shortly after changing out everything I went back to observe them . One CX was obviously having a seizure , and while I stared at it in dumbfounded disbelief , another dropped and joined it . Then an EE followed suit .......... and I realized the two CX were doing a clumzy version of a dust bath in the new shavings . [​IMG] Further observation also made me decide the " sick " CX is actually nursing an injured leg . Its one of the smaller ones and I think it isn't breaking down but suffering from being ran over by a bigger one .

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Dust bathes are adorable. Give them a short sided box (or plastic sandwich container) full of sand - they will love it!

3. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

teehee!

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    [​IMG] I had a full-grown Narragansett hen give me a heart attack the other day when I looked out the window to see her writhing in pain on the ground, one wing obviously broken or dislocated and sticking straight up in the air. She too was "dust bathing".

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

Something like this?

Picture was taken August 2009 - these chickens were new additions in q-tine. When I saw the roo, I just about passed out - he laid like that from when I saw him, until I went and got the camera. Sand must have felt great.

[​IMG]

What?

[​IMG]

6. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:I took their sand away from them . They were eating every bit of the parakeet grit offered plus a half cup of sand per day . I'm giving them scraps , grass , clover , dandelions , bugs , etc . for treats ; so I replaced the sand with full size poultry grit yesterday and they ate around an 8th cup of that overnight also . They may need grit with the added treats , but I suspect the CX are willing to fill their crops with anything when I withold feed at night .

7. dwyer360

dwyer360 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    horsefeatherz NV
    I use fence similar to yours to contain my birds. I notice you have chicken wire around the outside of the bigger fence. What is that for, keeping predators out or something?

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

Something like this?

Exactly like that. [​IMG] And she popped up and looked at me weird like "What???" when I went out there too. Darn birds!!!

9. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    sounds like the time I saw a hen sunbathing. I came out to find her laying on her side with her wing down, omg...I ran over to "help" her and she got up all disgusted at me. lol, now I laugh every time I see that.

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol me too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by