Gotta wash my eggs?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Gazinga, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

do i have to wash my eggs after i gather them from the coop before i eat them? if so, why? How do you guys wash yours, or do you?

[​IMG]

2. mawmaw_t

mawmaw_t Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    South Carolina
    I wash mine right before I'm going to use them and only the ones I'm going to use at that time. This leaves the 'bloom', a natural coating on them so they last longer and don't absorb bacteria.

If they are extra dirty, I'll use a dry cloth or paper towel to clean them up a little before storing them. Although, finding dirty eggs is getting less as they are using the nest boxes like they are supposed to. Still have one Rock that likes to lay on the floor in a corner in the shavings.

3. juice

juice Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    hastings
    Hi, I wash mine with cold water and a VERY mild soap solution in a large bowl(then dry them),before I put them in the refrigerator. That way they are ready to be used when i want them. And since I don't get as many as I can use (we eat them almost as fast as they are produced) then I don't worry about washing off the coating. Good luck. Juice

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    I wash mine with the hottest water I can get out of the tap,bloom or no bloom I dont want chicken poop in my fridge,and Im a country boy,have been knee deep in the stuff but it just seems so nasty to break open eggs with poo on the shell

5. AmazonDragon

AmazonDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2008
    Wisconsin
    How long do eggs last bloom vs. no bloom in the cooler?

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:The water should be 101 degrees, hopefully hotter water is ok since I'm not gonna hold a thermometer under the faucet. Anything colder can cause the pores of the shell to open up while you're washing the egg and may result in bacteria being able to enter the egg. The hotter water closes the pores to help keep bacteria out.

I rarely wash my eggs. If they're dirty enough to require washing I'll throw them away (at least until I'm using/selling more than are getting laid).

7. skeeter

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i read where one egg farm washed at 150 and another washed at 130 degrees

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I only soap the poopy ones, all the others get washed, dried w/ paper towel and put in the fridge so that they are ready to use.

9. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I have only had egg layers for about 6 months, but in that time I have NEVER had poop on my eggs. Why do some people have poopy eggs and some don't?

10. skeeter

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    sometimes a hen will step in a big pile of poo then get up in the nest without wiping her feet,or just poo in the nest,you would think they would know better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by