Gotten Approval

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alwayslovely14, Aug 14, 2013.

1. alwayslovely14

alwayslovely14 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    My mom agreed to letting me get ducks!!!!![​IMG] Her only condition is that I have to hatch them myself. I must admit that this does scare me I'm afraid that I'll get it wrong. She wants us to make an incubator out of an aquarium. I've done all my research on raising ducklings that i don't know anything about hatching. whenever I've read about making an incubator the directions sound like gibberish. HELP PLEASE...................................[​IMG]

2. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Congrats! That's great news. You'll have a better experience if you get nice, fresh, eggs with little dirt on them from a local source. Eggs that you have to wash, eggs that are shipped, eggs that are handled rough, or old eggs will not hatch as well. If you have a friend or neighbor or 4H pal with fertilized eggs, ask them for some, even if they don't have exactly the breed you want.

Homemade incubators can be tough. Set it up, run it for a week or so, measure temperature and humdity for a while before you set the eggs. You need to be able to keep the eggs at 99.5°F at 50 to 75% humidity for 28 days. An aquarium makes a better initial brooder (days 1 to 7 after the hatch) than an incubator, but you might be able to make it work. You'll need heating elements (heating pads, heat lamps, ceramic terrarium heaters, etc) good thermometers, and dishes of water to keep the humidity up. You'll need to turn the eggs 3 times a day, and read up on candling eggs for proper development. Again, it can be really straightforward: you set up the incubator, get the settings tuned in, turn the eggs, and 28 days later you have ducklings! Or it can be hard, and you worry every step of the way.The more you learn about the process the easier it will be.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

That is great, mind you i must ask why hatch them yourself? do you have experience with this? while i know some have success with incubators homemade i don't consider hatching for the faint of heart nor the inexperienced.

I for instance wouldn't attempt it and i have experience, there is much to be considered, temps, humidity etc.

4. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    "It is better to have hatched and lost than never to have hatched at all."

Our first and only incubator is a little homemade thing. We built it and tested it without eggs for a week or so to make sure it could hold the temperature and humidity properly. For our very first hatch, we put in just a couple of eggs that way if we messed up we wouldn't suffer a big loss. After we had a successful hatch, we adjusted the incubator and set 10 more eggs. We've had a decent hatch rate, but it requires a lot of attention to make sure the eggs get turned, that the temp and humidity are right, and that the eggs are developing properly.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    If you are planning on keeping the ducks as pets, have you thought that if you hatch them out yourself, you might get more than one drake in the bunch? If that happens you have to think carefully about what you would do. As far as I know, you will not be able to put a bunch of drakes in with a bunch of hens. There are ratios of drake to hen that have to be carefully adhered to or you will have a lot of hurt and injured ducks and hens. For example if you hatch 6 eggs, get 4 drakes and 2 hens, you are in danger of having the drakes fighting and then overbreeding the hens and potentially hurting or killing them.
    I don't want to rain on your happiness about getting ducks, but this is a valid point. Maybe you have a plan in place to deal with something like this, but I just wanted to throw it out there in case you do not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by