goudkoekoek marans..what age do they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Aug 17, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have here 3 hens from the belgian 'goudkoekoek marans' (sorry dont know the english name, they are cuckoo marans but with a ban of gold flecks around their neck and head)
    they were born the end week of feb so are about 22ish weeks now and no eggs. how old are marans when they start laying??

2. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    How are they 22 weeks old but they were born in February? [​IMG] Wouldn't that make them 7 months old? They should be laying by now, or they will soon.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    LAST of February...so you don't count Feb [​IMG] I agree they should start laying soon as long as they are healthy and being fed adequately.

4. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Oh I'm sorry.. brain fart. [​IMG]
    I still think they should start laying anytime.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I'll translate. Goudkoekoek means golden cuckoo (marans). Although that's a literal translation, I think they are called the same in English. You should start getting eggs from them soon. Make sure that they aren't hiding them though.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    one has a redder comb than the other two (whos combs are still pink) somewhere i read their comb will get redder the nearer they are to laying..is that true??

7. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, it's true. I don't think that it would be a rooster you don't know about at their age which means that your hen is getting very close to laying.

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i ahve two young roos too so know what they look like, no this is definatly a hen...fingers crossed for eggs soon then! will they be red from the start or do they have to 'develope' to red eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by