Gourd Art for Fall Festival!**PIC HEAVY**

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by missred871, Sep 25, 2010.

1. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    My daughter's school has a HUGE fall festival every year and they rent out merchant booths, this year I decided to get one and sell my gours art and jewelry. Here are some of the things I have made so far!

[​IMG]
    turkey gourd front

[​IMG]
    Turkey gourd back

[​IMG]
    Snow Lady

[​IMG]
    An Apple A Day gourd

[​IMG]
    Haunted Pumpkin Gourd-front

[​IMG]
    Haunted Pumpkin Gourd- back

ETA: the snowlady and the pumpkin gourd both need the laquer on them as of the time the pictures were taken [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Wow - very nice?

How long to they last?

3. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:what do you mean by that? These are hard shell gourds so if you are thinking they are like squash and will rot they won't. These are in their perm. states, they are much like wood and can be wood-burned, many many people use them for Purple Martin houses (which I will have a few bird houses ready for the festival as well) and others use them for bowls, spoons etc. There are hundreds of types of all shapes and sizes, there are some that look like eggs, I have gifted a few ornaments here on BYC that are made from those. So to fully answer your question, these are coated in poly-urethane and can withstand any weather anytime, they can last an infinate amount of time depending on how well they are taken care of and even then it is more likely that the paint will chip or fade before the gourds integrity is compromised at all.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Oh wow! How cute! I love the eyes!

5. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    I want the pumpkin!!!! [​IMG]

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    missred871 You are very talented! I love your Art!

7. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    Nicely done! Our son also raises and dries gourds, finishing them as natural colored bird houses or painting them as decorative objects. He sells his at our local fall festival or occasionally takes them to our local farmers' market. Delightful:) ~G

8. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    thanks all, we do a lot of lamps and bird houses too. I have a morning glory birdhouse finished now. I also painted some windchimes and am now working on a second pumpkin gourd with a kitty popping out of the top

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by