1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gourd vines and fruit safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crazyhen, Nov 29, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Just wondering if I could plant gourds on my covered run this summer. It is high 5' and needs some shade that is not going to be there in the winter. I know they would be pretty and would plant them far enough away to keep the chicks from getting them. I would train them up 4 feet then over on the run. Jean

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I think that would work beautifully, as long as whatever tops your run can cupport the weight . . . surprising how heavy vies and gourds can be, but I think you should give it a try, for shade and for beauty.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Jean, since there are so many different species of plants known as gourds, it may be best not to say that they are ALL safe [​IMG].

You could choose one that is related to some of our garden vegetables - Winter squash. The bottle gourds, for example, are quite different from squash, botanically. They are a Lagenaria species in the very large Cucurbitaceae family.

Turks Turban is a Cucurbita maxima and not much different from the Buttercup squash I grow. The chickens really like this stuff (and so do people [​IMG]). I'd have to assume that Turks Turban gourds would be a safe plant to have around chickens.

Steve
    edited to erase something I'm very sure is safe for the birds.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by