Gout? Swollen feet, toe deforming?

twowillows

Hatching
Apr 11, 2021
Any ideas what this might be? She turned 3 this March. She had the swelling for quite some time, but always walked fine and everything else always fine. Recently she has started limping and it seems to be swelling more, along with her toe changing and deforming it seems. She is still eating, drinking, and foraging normally. Regular activity, not lethargic, comb seems good, etc. She is still laying although some of her eggs seem to be a little longer than normal, and last week she had something weird where the egg didn’t form properly and it came out very deformed. She has laid normally since then.

I’ve always suspected gout, but I’m not sure. All the other birds in the flock are fine and have always been fine. Any ideas? I’m so worried about finding her dead one morning or her leg bursting open or something traumatic and painful for her 😞
4A922BE6-5FB7-49F0-BE7E-7B493FD14D3C.png
81476C46-077F-46CA-BF9A-2788D1E0CE98.jpeg

Articular gout can have many possible causes as seen in the article below, and with both the feet and toes being swollen and lumpy appearing, my guess would also be gout. Sour cherry extract is something humans use to treat pain of gout, and some chicken owners have reported some improvement with 2 capsules a day. I have never had gout or tried it, but it might be worth trying. Since her toe is bothering her, it might be good to soak her feet daily for a few days in warm Elsom salts water. Gout can have a genetic predisposition. Here is some reading about gout:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultry

According to the Merck manual, seems MS also has other symptoms, like bluing combs. Also, it seems to have been under control in hatcheries. MS shows up in young birds, and according to the article is rarely heard of now.

Back
Top Bottom