Government Debt

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's 30 mintues, well spent

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Posting here to mark this so I can find it when I am not sleepy.

3. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Y'all come back now.

This is serious ... STUFF!

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Well i watched it. Don't really know what I could say. Our government is just like the top heavy corporations. So much for the government looking after it's people,now it's up to us to support an incompetent government. With 1% of the population with most of the money. Don't look too promising does it?

5. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We've got to stop spending.

6. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I agree whole heartedly with that. Now trying to convince the law makers will be the tough job. I think that most people are over so confident in the ability of the United States that they can't bring themselves to believe that we can fail. My houghts just keep dwelling on Rome.
    But on the positive side, after watching it I had enough nervous energy that I deep cleaned my house. And painted a few walls. I'm not trying to make light of this. Just don't know how to change it and it scares the crap out of me.

7. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    We've got to stop spending FOOLISHLY.

So many government programs that are a total waste. I hear a great idea today that was said in jest, but I think it's a good idea: Those collecting welfare must pass a urine test in order to collect benefits.

It'd cost a bit to administer, but man, it'd pay for itself in NO time.

8. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Mahonri, Mahonri, Mahonri...you're gonna get tired of babysitting my soapboxes.

We require high school graduates to have had at least a smattering of algebra in order to graduate. I think most states do. And while I won't want downgrade the importance algebra...not EVERYONE will use it later in life. I mean - you might have to solve for x if you're building, say...a chicken coop. EVERYONE (it is hoped) will have some money to manage. We need to require personal finance in high school. My kids were sent credit card approvals while they were in high school ("the answer is no") and now consumer debt is a standard way of life for college grads who insist on having the lifestyle it took their parents years to have.

Of course, ignorance can be bliss, I guess.....but as someone who can actually remember life BC (Before Cards) I consider it hopelessly irresponsible both personal and civic standpoints to not be able to understand money. Most everyone hears this stuff on the news or whathaveyou and claim to understand it but do they really GET what it all means? I find people are way more absorbed in their own personal dramas to really put forth the effort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by