Government subsidizing road side farmer markets..

seedcorn

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
NE. IN
This is nuts.....minimum grant $2500. max is $100,000. $100,000 to start/run a farmers market?????

How many other programs are this stupid.

Last edited:
ep.gif

yea please where did you get this info?

i could use the 100,000 dollars to start a farmers market

No problem. Tried to attach link, didn't work. Got it from republican newsletter from my state rep Dan Leonard (IN). He sends out a republican newsletter seems every week. It was lead story.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams...ers Market Promotion Program (FMPP)&acct=fmpp

This isn't link that I wanted as I erased the email but it gives the information as to government agency. They are to spend $5 million this year.

The Farmers Market Promotion Program (FMPP) was created through a recent amendment of the Farmer-to-Consumer Direct Marketing Act of 1976. The grants, authorized by the FMPP, are targeted to help improve and expand domestic farmers markets, roadside stands, community-supported agriculture programs, agri-tourism activities, and other direct producer-to-consumer market opportunities. Approximately $5 million is allocated for FMPP for Fiscal Years 2009 and 2010 and $10 million for Fiscal Years 2011 and 2012.

Last edited:
Could you pm me the link that didn't work or maybe give me the name of the site to look for.

Thanks

I scimmed through the projects funded from 2006 on and I am honestly not seeing the problem. Major corporations have been the main benefactors of farming subsidies for years, it's about time something is done to help the little guy move back into the market. It's the kind of thing the USDA should be funding. The funds didn't send 100,000 to Joe Schmoe to help set up his organic shoe sole business, these were major infrastructure projects.

It looks like much of the grants were to help establish statewide programs and to make it more possible to bring fresh produce to impoverished areas, where many times the only source for groceries is the corner store and transportation is an issue. For the scope of some of the projects that were given grants, the amounts seemed low and well within reason. These are one time grants for start up costs. I really don't mind my tax dollars going to such worthwhile projects with good long term potential. Hopefully they will work to divert more of the USDA budget that currently goes to big Agribusiness, and this seems like a good place to start. I can understand the initial jaw dropping reaction, to you or I it's an enormous amount. But, hopefully long term it will enable more small farmers to stay in business a while longer, which is important to the food security of our country.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom