Gow many hens to roos is ok.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Abunari, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Abunari

Abunari Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    I got 12 Barred rock chicks and it is looking so far like i have five hens , two question mark genders and the rest males. If i only end up wih five hens would it be wise to keep one rooster. Ive heard you need 12 to one ratio or he will be rough on the ladies.

I hope some more come to be female than five. I am ok with only keeping the hens for now with no rooster but am ok with one male also just dont want to have a bad ratio of ladies to gentlemen so to speak.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I normally say at least 5 hens to one rooster so I think 1 to 5 is fine.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally an adult rooster can handle 10 hens, less than that and they will be overbred. IF you don't intend to hatch eggs or sell fertile eggs, the hens will be very happy without a rooster, and will continue to lay just as many eggs (non fertile ones) Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can post photos of the chicks you aren't sure of at "what breed or gender is this." Someone may be able to tell you now if you have more males coming up or not. Welcome to the flock.

5. Abunari

Abunari Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Ok thank you sorry for the typo lol

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The 10 to 1 thing is about more of an industrial standard for achieving 100% fertility....but it's not a bad ratio for a flock for over breeding issues.
    Many breeders use a much smaller ratio, but control who is with who for how long as it depends on behavioral personalities for both cock and hens as to whether there will be problems.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    do you really need or want a rooster? If not, get rid of them all and raise some more hens that will at least give you eggs instead of being big fat freeloaders.

so speaks the person with the overful grow-out pen of big fat freeloading cockerels [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by