GQF 1588 can use 12 v battery?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
  2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:You may be misinterpretateing the add . What it's saying is that there is a built in power converter which changes the 110V AC to 12V DC ............................... this is common on many devices as a safety precaution . If you want to plug that electrical cord directly to a 12V battery , it will not work . However , some buy power converters that change 12V DC to 110V AC , and plug the cord into that .

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The standard power supply converts the 110/220 AC current from the wall socket to 12 volts DC for the incubator to use. This is pretty normal for electronic equipment. They don't all convert 110 or 220 AC to 12 Volt DC. Some convert to different voltages. My printer power supply, for example, converts to 32 volt DC.

If you get the standard power supply, you just plug it into the wall and it automatically converts it for you. If you want to run it off 12 volt DC, you can get a special power supply.

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

yes it can use a 12 volt battery but you must buy the gqf battery connectors which are usually sold seperately. There is also a car addapter available for the new 1588's

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    Actually the power cord is the converter.GQF sells a cigerrette ligher attachment that allows you to use a 12volt source so If the power goes out you can use your car or RV.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    The adapter looks like what u would use to jump ur car. so if ur power goes out can u use a 12 v battery?

7. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Yes , but only for the short time the battery stays charged .

8. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes.. it will work on a 12V system, such as a car battery... This could work with 2 deep cycle batteries, and some type of charger... I guess you could play around with a solar cell, but what you will have to look at is the current draw of the bator VS the size of battery..

BUT if you have an area that for some reason has a lot of power outages, or in an RV.. (that would be fun) then yes your good to go!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by