GQF hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by patti'speeps, Feb 12, 2011.

1. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    I recently purchased a 1200 series GQF Hatcher. It is used and I was wondering if anyone had ever used one and if there is anything in particular I should know about it . I haven't gotten it yet it's on it's way from Iowa. Any information would be helpful, thanks. [​IMG]

2. Jennmom2three

Jennmom2three Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    Can I ask what you paid for it? I have a guy about 2 hours away that wants $300 for his...the door isn't see through though [​IMG]

3. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can probably buy the door after market through GQF

4. Jennmom2three

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    do you think $300 is a good price? it has 3 trays and automatic turner. Missing the bottom tray

5. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could probably buy the bottom tray too, with its lid.. But by the time you do all of that, you might just as well buy a new one. The upper trays can be used below if you can create a hatch lid. I did that with some hardware cloth. worked great.

6. Jennmom2three

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    I am just having issues justifying spending that much money. I really want enough hens that lay to sell eggs. Right now I have 13 or so hens. I have two LG with installed pc fans. One has a turner and one doesn't, that way I can have a hatcher.

7. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    $300 for a GQF cabinet anything is a really good price. I'd buy it for that.

8. Jennmom2three

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    Quote:Only other negative is that it would take 3 hours to drive to get it....

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    an add on plexiglas door is about $80.. Nice to have, but not necessary ..

you can go and purchase some rigid plastic egg holders for that unit.. I hardly ever use my metal trays anymore..
    I think Culvers has the plastic trays.. many chickn supply atalog have them.. shop around for the best price.. make sure they are the rigid plastic ones.. there is also a softer style, which I have also.. but you need to have trays to put those into.. or else they sag..

the rigid ones have 2 posts on 2 opposite sides which enable you to stack them.. a handy feature when you are saving eggs to hatch..

I removed the two outside rows of pockets from a couple of mine so that I can even stack them in the inubator.. that increases the capacity to almost double of the normal 24 doz.
    If I remember correctly it adds 18 dozen more.. much cheaper than buying a second bator..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by