gqf incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hen_house, Sep 20, 2011.

1. hen_house

hen_house Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    recently purchased a 2 yr old gqf inbator, has the 3 turning racks but did not come with hatching drawer. with the trays turning does not look it will allow me enough room to construct one to put in the bottom. i have a small chicken operation so really do not need 3 turning trays. can the bottom tray be removed to allow enough room for a hatching drawer or have been told they can hatch in the turning trays. very nice unit just lacks this and wanted to find out. thanks

2. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    Quote:You can do it either way But if your turner is on & moving the chicks might get caught between trays while it's in motion.

3. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've got a GQF Sportsman. The idea of the hatch rack is when you are incubating, the hatch tray is out which allows the trays to rock side to side. When you're ready to hatch, you place the hatch box in but stop the turner from moving. You have quite a bit of room down there, you could build a wooden box no problem, just stop your turners in the flat position, measure the distance from floor to bottom tray and there you go. Now I don't know which GQF you have but on mine if you press the green button, it goes to manual turn, you want to press this when the trays are straight flat. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. hen_house

hen_house Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    thank you alot, like i mentioned recently purchased the incubator have not even picked it up yet, but the guy i purchased it from said had no room for a hatching tray, but i was thinking like you had to have some room but he was telling me with it turned not allowing any room for the tray. hopefully when i get it i will be able to add the tray. got a great deal on it so i wanted to hatch eggs for my daughter and did not figure another deal would come along like this. thank you again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by