gqf incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hen_house, Nov 1, 2011.

1. hen_house

hen_house Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    wanted to ask with gqf incubator which does not have a hatching tray. can one of the 3 trays be removed which can be used as a hatching tray. 2 remaining trays will be more than enough to hatch what eggs i want. would of loved to have had a hatching tray already but it was such a great deal had to get even without tray. thanks for any suggestions.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Does it have a space on the bottom of the incubator for a hatching tray? If it is model 1402 or a 1500 I don't think you can put a tray on the bottom unless you turn the turner off. I don't think one will fit if the turner is on.

3. hen_house

Jul 25, 2011
    incubator does not have any room at all for a hatching tray at the bottom, the only way that you could put any thing on the bottom would be to turn off the turners. thanks

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Know this will work......if you can get a cover for the trays.

You can leave the turner on......doesn't hurt to keep turning the eggs...they don't need turn those last days ,but it doesn't hurt them(broody hens turn them till the day they hatch.

you can even turn the turner off the day of the hatch, missing one day of turning will not hurt the other eggs. if you don't turn it off ,chicks can get smash.

i have 6 gqf sportsman...have hatch many in the turning trays.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have hatched in my turning trays too. I just turn off the turner. Now I incubate in my Sportsman and hatch in my styrofoam incubators as I do staggered hatches.

6. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    These usually ( my 2 do ) have more mounting holes in the mounts than are used you may be able to take the back off and move the 2 top trays up while removing the bottom one ( I did ) and it worked out fine , until I got 2 stand alone hatchers .

7. hen_house

Jul 25, 2011
    thanks for all the input, just my first gqf incubator and wanted the best so i would have a good hatch rate. thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by