GQF Sportsman Incubator - Improving Temps - ideas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DNAatWork, Apr 1, 2012.

1. DNAatWork

DNAatWork Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    Not to happy with GQF. I went to fire up my incubator. I figured out that the temperatures are not the same for each level of egg trays, i'm disappointed... for 700 bucks... and the incubator is not accurate. Anyways I have figured how to fix this. It can be fixed by placing a piece of wood in the back, that can direct the air flow to the bottom, and up. If anyone has came up with anything better post.

Regular incubator air flow. The blue spots show a cooler temp. This can vary from 5 - 10 degrees.
    [​IMG]

This is what my idea is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. DNAatWork

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    for anyone that doesn't not own this incubator, the egg racks are made out of wire, so the air (should) go threw the egg trays.

3. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    Wow! 5-10 degrees difference sounds excessive. I was thinking 3 degrees top to bottom. You might talk to GQF before modifying the incubator . The fan may not be running at the correct rpm. Also I thought the fan blew to the front of the incubator .

4. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    X-2 on that ...cva34

5. DNAatWork

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    It blows front to back ( i think), if not, it will be easier. i've been thinking of things to improve it.

If it is still 3 degrees off, that is not good in my opinion, and the modification will be removable if it doesn't work. Its nothing but a removable piece of wood re-dericting the air flow to the bottom of the incubator. I won't destroy my incubator in any way. It should work, if the fan works appropriately - if not I can fix that too. I just thought to show people my ideas. Every degree is important when hatching, and so is the air flow. [​IMG] - at least I hope. The fan is working fine, it is not lagging enough to be noticeable.

The thing I would hate to do is send my incubator to GQF, for the cost of shipping. I don't want to pay over 160 bucks for them to say it works fine.

6. DNAatWork

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    I think your right on the fan, if your right - than I can place a piece of pelxi glass, or something in front of the egg trays (make it like a door). If there is a good circulation in side the incubator, i'm sure my hatch rates would increase dramatically, - but so far, they have been really low, and I thought it was improper humidity all along.

7. HatchCraft

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    I agree 3 degrees top to bottom is not good, but sportsmens do hatch eggs. The false back may work to distribute the temperature better, but if the return is too small you will reduce air flow too much and the air will stratify. You may need to make multiple opening at different levels. Smaller opening at top larger at the bottom.I have used this method on cabinets in the past .The best option is increasing the volume of air moved but would require a larger fan or multiple fans. In my hatchers I use vented drawers to direct the air flow . The stacked drawers create a false back for the return air . The fan is sized to the volume of the cabinet. I found that air does not flow well through loaded egg trays. Alway picture the air flowing over the egg trays not through them. [​IMG]

8. DNAatWork

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    HA it worked! Perfectly !!! :D It went from 94 degrees, to 99 1/2 degrees. The temp is set at 100 degrees :D I made the door out of cardboard, will have to go to the store to buy some plexi glass.

9. HatchCraft

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    That's great. I'm sure the sportsman owners will want to see a photo when your done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by