GQF thermometer/hydrometer, good backup to Incuview?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KittieChick, Feb 11, 2015.

1. KittieChick

KittieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC
    I'm getting ready to purchase an Incuview incubator. Am getting the distinct impression that I need a back up temp/humidity measurement device.

Opinions? I live In NC. High humidity in general. Spring and early summer we have windows open so the house is generally at least 60-70% humidity! I'd imagine..

Anyhow, I'm starting in some breeds that need help and are more uncommon, and it would be heartbreaking to lose eggs.

Thank you!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Looks like a good digital gizmo. I use a humidor combo that's a bit cheaper myself. As long as you can calibrate the hygrometer it's good. The temp is just to give peace of mind and note any drastic change. To dial in the incubator temperature I use a oral thermometer. Find the temp swing low and high and average it, adjust to 99.5F and note the temp on the combo gizmo- will be different.

3. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  4. KittieChick

KittieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC
  5. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I just set it on the eggs. Even before I had an auto turner the eggs were in egg cartoons and the thermometer on top of them.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Why not buy just one, or at most two real scientific instruments and have a 4 way backup as well as a real scientific instrument for both your incubators humidity as well as the temperature your hatching eggs are subjected to.

The following is an image of a hydrometer that doesn't depend on a horse hair to work. There is also a picture of the scale needed to read the true relative humidity using this type of instrument.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by