Gr. Pyr Puppy Madness!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WiseChicks, Apr 8, 2009.

1. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    So, we brought home 2 (!!!) of Runamuck's beautiful Pyr puppies a few weeks ago. Slowly getting through house training and basic commands. They come out with us when we do chores, and were doing really well with the chickens. Were. a few days ago, my goofy frizzle freaked out, flew in their faces, and then raced accross the yard. They thought it was a game and took off after her, caught her, and carried her back to the coop. Didn't hurt her, but scared my son and I! (we got these puppies after our former rescue dogs decided to decimate our flock earlier in the year) So, we worked in the coop with leashes, and they've been better.

Yesterday, while I was feeding everyone, Ebony walked up to me with a Silkie that she'd 'gotten' for me! Bird was fine, but again, I'm worried.

I know they guard.... do they "retrieve"???????

Any suggestions?

Katie

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    well I can't answer. but why are there no puppy pics

3. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    I am very interested in the Great Pyr, we are on the list to get one from a local breeder in early May. Please let me know how this works out.

4. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    I would continue to keep them on a leash around the chickens for a while. Mine is now six months and I still watch her around them. I would definitly stop them from catching them, they are guard dogs not retrievers. Even if they are not mean they dont have the soft bite that retreivers like labradors have. One of them might accidently bite to hard and puncture the skin. Just my opinion though! Good luck I think you will really enjoy them.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Where are the pictures??

*stomps foot*

6. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    SORRY!!!!! Pictures of everything tonight, I promise!!!!!!

OK, I was thinking I should thether them near the coop, so that they can watch the chickens and the chickens can watch them and hopefully they become bored of each other.

The puppies don't mess with the roos, or the big calm chickens, just the featherbrained frizzles and silkies that race around squacking like idiots, so maybe a little controlled together time will fix everything.

Like I told my son, if they were being mean or trying to eat them, the bird would be long gone, so I think it is curiosity. Most of the time, they just Watch them, which is what I want them to do!

7. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    My now awesome Pyr, Ludwig, killed a silkie rooster and I caught him twice with a chicken between his paws, "licking off" the back feathers. Both those hens made it ok. He was 4 months old at the time. I caught him in the act the last time he ever did it - I saw him lying down and heard a screaming chicken, so I RAN to him and shouted NO! NO! and TACKLED him, grabbed him by his neck fur on both sides of his face and yelled "DON'T YOU EVER EVER DO THAT AGAIN! He hasn't, and in fact the chickens and cats hang out within a foot of him as he lays there watching over everyone. Of course, I also implemented some serious training after the tackling incident. I have 6 dogs, all but the Pyr are rescues, and all leave the chickens alone. The training is all positive, and involves teaching "Leave it". While walking on a leash, whenever the dog shows any interest in the birds, I say "NO, Leave it" and give a slight pull on the leash. I also have AWSOME treats in a pouch, so that the second he looks away from the birds, I say, very happily, "Good boy!" and give a treat. Can take some time and repetition, but it's worked for me. Good luck.

I don't think I'd tether near the coop unless you'll be right there. I lost 2 hens to a dog I was dog-sitting that was tied up. That dog had been found with puppies in the woods, and was not going to pass up such an easy meal. It was all very sad.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe they are just 'bringing you your lost chickens'...lol

Actually Jackyl (our 7-8 month old) will heard the turkeys into a group and walk them all back to the barn...He doesn't hurt any of the turkeys, if one gets outta the group or trys to wonder off, he goes to it and walks it back to the group...He has never 'caught one' to bring it back...Just walks it back to the group..Then off to the barn they go.....

9. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    My GP pup will "mouth" one certain roo if she is not watched. I believe it is mostly a puppy thing. She just wants to mouth and chew everything. We are working with her and know that once she gets out of this puppy stage, she will be fine. She is very intelligent and you can see her fighting the urge to get that roo! I have faith that she will come around. As with hatching chicks, patience is key!

10. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Mine tried to play rough a few times with the chickens, until one day he encountered a broody hen who was mothering some hatchery chicks for me. He got a bloody nose and an unforgettable lesson: Never Touch The Chickens. Now he only herds them back to me if they don't want to go in the coop, which is rather convenient--I just hold a big fishing net to the ground, he herds the loose chicken right into the net, I don't have to move. He sort of nudges their butts to get them to go. He does the same for wild turkeys in the yard.

He also brings me his favorite toys when he wants to play catch. Not exactly retrieving though, I would discourage it when it comes to chickens.

And, young lady, where are the pictures? Hmmmm? I'm WAITING...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by