graduating from chicks to chickenhood

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by patandchickens, Jul 9, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, the 'kids' aren't really kids anymore. They're 11 wks old now and only the chanteclers are still peeping - the sussexes and campines have moved on to bawk- bagawk style things to say. And they are basically big chickens now, just a little more growing/broadening/maturing to do.

The campines turned out to be 5 males out of 6 chicks -- 4 were sold a month ago, and the other one (thought at the time to be a girl, but started crowing and sprouting a manly comb and wattles just 2 days after the other boys left) was sold yesterday to a guy who just wants a purty rooster to join his other coupla purty banty roosters to decorate his lawn. So now I'm down to the ones I'm keeping -- mostly *really* keeping, but I'm still not sure of the sexes on all of them and there may well be a few that get eaten as the months go by.

I feel like the kids have all grown up and gotten jobs and started having lives of their own. I miss the fluffy chick stage [​IMG]

OTOH it is nice to see them entering "the beginning of the rest of their lives", starting to sort out who's who and what's what and how to be a chicken. The sussexes are still highly suspicious of their run, but, they will figure it out in time. And the chanteclers (plus the one campine female) really need me to BUILD them a run for them to be highly suspicious of [​IMG] Yeah yeah, I'm working on it [​IMG]

BTW, I was surprised how un-difficult it was to find takers for the 5 campine cockerels. I think I was right in my calculation that if you don't wanna eat the extra roos then it is wise to have them be of a breed that is both rare-breed and purty [​IMG]

I look forward to seeing how the remaining 14 (plus my preexisting 2 hens, currently off in the front yard in the tractor) will sort themselves out as they grow up. Chicken society is interesting [​IMG]

Pat

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Glad to hear they are all doing well. [​IMG]

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Isn't it lovely watching them grow? Mine are the same age as yours, Pat, and I actually like them better now than when they were chicks. They have such different personalities. I was lucky and ended up with only 1 roo, a SLW, out of 16 chicks. At first I wasn't going to keep him, but he's such a handsome fella, that I just can't get rid of him. He's turning out to be a good one, but of course, that could all change when he reaches maturity. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by