Graduating to Healthy Treat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dianer29, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My SILKIES are 3 weeks old .I tried the plain yogurt last week ,no one liked it . Yet I will try again at a later time. At this stage of development what is acceptable to give them as a nutritional treat ? Would it be beneficial for their socialization to hand offer the treats to each chick?

2. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    They will be your best friend if you give them mealworms... at least until you run out. [​IMG]

3. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Personally I hand fed my chicks for the first 6 weeks or so until two in particular started pecking at my hands, even when I was only changing the waterer. Every time I put my hand in their brooder they automatically assumed I'd bear treats. Those beaks are sharp!

Anyway, that might not happen to you, I don't know. Holding and petting them from such a young age really helped in socialization, for sure.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Mine wre not into treats until they were several weeks old and then only a few things. It changed after they were a bit older, they will try more things now. Around 6 - 8 weeks old they were really into mealworms, leftover pasta (watching them eat cooked spaghetti was hysterically funny....) and oatmeal. It took a couple of times offering yoghurt and cottage cheese, now they love it. First time watermelon was a flop, now they jump up to get it before I can put it down....Give it a little time, they will 'get it'....[​IMG]

5. Kriquet

Kriquet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Kansas City
    My chicks are not quite 1 1/2 weeks old and I just picked them up one at a time and dropped a mealworm in my hand and held it in front of them. As soon as the worm started squirming the chick would give it the 'ole one-eye' and grab it. It took a few minutes for the girls to realize it was food - but well worth the effort! Now when I check on them they all hop up and run to me and see who can hop into my hand first! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by