1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grafted 5 chicks- 100% success !

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by helenbk1966, Apr 4, 2016.

1. helenbk1966

helenbk1966 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Flossie our buff Orp is an awesome mom! We didn't even wait til dark because one chick was beating up on the other 4. She straightened that out right away! It sure beats raising them indoors!![​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Amen on letting mama do the job.

3. Jemezhens

Jemezhens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    Way to go Flossie! looks like she'll be a great mom, was she broody?

4. helenbk1966

helenbk1966 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    Flossie was UBER broody for 2 1/2 weeks before the chicks came home. She sat on a pile of ceramic eggs we keep in the nesting boxes to remind the girls where they are supposed to lay. Of course Flossie terrified them all while she was broody so no one would lay in there. We are hoping they go back to laying in the house because hunting for eggs in the 5-6 other places they have decided are suitable is not fun!

5. Jemezhens

Jemezhens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    Ha! I love your terminology, I can relate. I had an Uber last summer and I tried fertile eggs (I had no rooster at the time) without luck and was considering chicks but it was so late in the season I couldn't find any. Sadly a Cougar wiped out my whole flock in the fall. my new flock arrives in May, I can't wait!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by