Grafting a chick to a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by torrelee, Sep 25, 2015.

1. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    I have a silkie hen who is a serious broodzilla. Last time she sat for a month, and after I became worried that she was losing weight I finally gave in and got 2 chicks from the feed store. I snuck them under in the dark and she took them with no issues.
    She went broody again a couple weeks ago so I picked up some eggs and put them in the incubator. I gave her a couple but she kept sitting on sawdust instead and the eggs failed to develop. After the power going out on 2 seperate occasions and a desperate attempt to keep the eggs warm by my woodstove I hatched only 1 chick this am. Plot twist being that broodzilla quit setting 3 days ago! My other silkie started the same day, but has never had chicks. Any advice on who I should try and sneak the chick under? I don't want a single in the brooder but am not sure if broody 2 will accept a chick so soon, or if I should try the one who has some experience but quit sitting?!
    Thanks in advance!

2. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    No advice?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Do you want my gimpy week old? My broody stomped on her leg accidentally at 2 days old, and she still isn't using it properly. Long story short, my broody turned out to be a not so great mom. Her hatch-mate passed away yesterday, so little Stumble is all alone now and very lonely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by