Grafting chicks...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leggomyegg0, Oct 2, 2012.

1. leggomyegg0

leggomyegg0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Robbins
    I have a broody silkie (she's not sitting on any eggs, but insists she wants to be a momma) and just got an order of black sex links in. I will hand raise the majority, but can anyone tell me the max number that the hen should be able to foster sucessfully?

Thanks,
    Claudette

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A lot depends upon the ambient temperatures where you live. In a warm environment a silky hen can readily raise 6 - 8 or more large fowl. This time of year in a cooler clime 4 might be a more workable number. The little buggers grow quickly and it soon becomes difficult for them all to get under mom.

3. leggomyegg0

leggomyegg0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Robbins
    Thanks for tip, I'm in NC, so it they should be about 7-8 weeks old before our nighttime temps drop below freezing...and even then it's not common to have steadily cold temps until they are 12-15 old...and that only leaves a little more than 5 weeks before they start laying... I'm thinking I will give her 6 or so... Their coop is very well insulated, so I think that is workable... I can always bring them the barn and put a heat lamp on if it looks like it will be cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by