Grafting to a Broody-Placement of chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barefootmama85, Jan 7, 2013.

1. barefootmama85

barefootmama85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    I've been reading through as many of the Grafting threads as I can to try and answer this question(sorry if it's already been answered)...

When you place the chicks under the broody, do you place them directly under her (same place as the eggs)? Or do you place them only under her wings?

Sorry for the silly question, we've never attempted grafting before, just want to make sure![​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have always placed them directly underneath the hen. Most hens will raise up slightly and start softly clucking when they hear the chicks and feel the movement.

3. barefootmama85

Mar 21, 2012
    Great thank you for your reply! Would you place them one at a time? or all at once?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very slowly, one at a time, I would place them under her in the evening. You will be able to judge how she is reacting.

5. barefootmama85

Mar 21, 2012
    Ok, we will see how it works out. Thank you so much for your time! I will have to post pics when the time comes [​IMG]

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck. Not to say that it never happens, but I have never had a broody reject 'adopted' chicks. Experienced broodies do so very readily and the longer the hen has been setting the more readily they accept chicks. I have never tried it wih a hen that has been setting for less than 2 weeks.

7. barefootmama85

Mar 21, 2012
    My "veteran" hen Ethel is hatching out her third clutch in the next few days( she was very sneaky this time!)
    However, our first time mama Celia has been sitting on infertile eggs for about 2 weeks. We are wanting a different breed, so I just got my fertile Black Australorp eggs today (we already have a grown Australorp Roo-Pantera). My plan is to set six under Celia and the other 6 in the bator, as she can really only fit 6 comfortably. I am hoping that when the bator eggs hatch, I can place them under Celia too :)
    I hope hope it works! [​IMG]

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she is willing to go another 3 weeks, this procedure will be a piece of cake. She will be accustomed to the sounds and movement of her hatchlings. 6 more will just be more to mother.

9. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    I had a bantam Cornish who didn't accept the chicks I placed under her. She did not try to kill them, she just abandoned them. It was like she didn't want to be a momma, only an incubator.

10. Scoutmedic

Scoutmedic Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    South-Central Texas
    My broody just hatched three chicks this past weekend and still has 7 eggs. It looks like they were not fertilized. Will she stay on them long enough so I can put my (hopefully) new chicks on Sunday under her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by