grain feeding (was: feeding bottle kids - Storey's book is confusing!)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BeardedChick, Feb 10, 2009.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am really confused about how much to feed dairy bottle kids. Mine are 2-3 weeks old. The person who I got them from had been giving them as much as they want. Given free choice, they will eat about 24 oz. 3 times a day. This weekend they will be 3 weeks old, and I will go to twice a day bottle feeding (hooray!).

I am trying to follow Storey's Guild to Raising Dairy goats, but it makes no sense.

In one place, Storey's book says:

During their second week, they will probably work up to 12 oz., in three feedings 8 hours apart. And from then on, you can expect to feed 1 quart of milk to each kid, twice a day.

Two paragraphs down, it's rephrased and written:

This gradually increases to roughly 2 or 3 pints of milk or milk replacer a day until weaning.

And on their chart it says:

32 oz, 2-3 times a day

I can't make heads or tails out of this no matter how many times I re-read it. Am I supposed to be feeding a quart twice a day, or a quart split into two feedings per day??? It's obviously a big difference.

They also are nibbling at fine stemmed grass hay and leafy alfalfa, and are nibbling at grain.​

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I start out feeding about 5 times a day (sometimes more often the first few days, depending on the kid), and I feed as much as they want. I usually stick w/ 5 feedings a day until they are 3-4 weeks old. And then cut down to 4, and they stay w/ 4 feedings a day til I start getting ready to wean them (usually around 3 months), then I start gradually decreasing the feedings.

How much I feed depends on the kid. I usually start decreasing the amount as they start eating other things.

3. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Im bottle feeding a pygmy right now he is 3 weeks old and eating 5-7oz 3 or 4 times per day. I let him eat as much as he would like per feeding as long as he is not overdoing it and making his belly huge all at once. He also has grain and hay in his playpen to pick at.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I feed my bottle kids 24 oz twice a day at that age.

Between 6 weeks and 12 weeks I give 32 oz twice a day. I usually wean at 12 weeks.

I have standard size La Manchas and Nubians.

5. BeardedChick

Thanks everyone,

KSA, thanks bunches for the specifics. Sounds like 55-60 oz. per day is about on track.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    [​IMG]

7. BeardedChick

KSA, What type of grain do you feed kids at that age?

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I usually keep grain (and hay) in front of my kids at all times. Now I feed a bulk custom grain mix from Greeley Elevator Co.

But I used "Klassie Goat" (Ranchway Feeds) before that. I don't feed medicated.

They don't eat much at that age, I give it free choice until they are eating it well.

9. BeardedChick

I have some custom mix from the breeder - oat, barley and corn - gotta figure out something locally availalble. I'll check for Greeley Elevator Co. mix. You'd think I could find it, here in CO. [​IMG]

I need to go look at your site and see if there are any pictures of your feeders and setup. I need to get some feeders built instead of just hanging buckets (mini trampolines)...

Wascally kids.

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I wondered where you were located [​IMG]

If you call them, they have a nutritionist that will work with you to get you what you want. They have a "ruminant" mix that is 14% protein, I used that first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by