grains and additives for chicken

greekbioguy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 25, 2010
hallo everybody
i do not buy ready made feed for any of my birds . i do not trust comersialy prepared feeds
i feed my ducks and pheasants grain mixes and additives. i made my own feeding charts using exell on my pc acording to the age of my birds the time of the year and their needs .i gathered all required info from university articles on bird nutrition
the ingredients i use are
organic no GM cracked corn
roled oats
weat
barley
organic no GM soy meal
millet
i also use the following additives
ground limestone
dicalcium phosphate
methionine
lysine
salt
multivitamin and mineral mixes
plus some oregano and a bit of mint for taste

all my birds are in top condition and breeding every year

does anybody know what grains are sutable for chickens? i would quess millet is to small for them but i dont know about the rest

Last edited:
thanks for the reply .what do u mean by boss??? when you say fish food do you mean food for koi etc ? i could use that but is expensive. if you mean fish meal for livestock then i cant because fish meal flour and meat meal flour are banned for well over a decade in greece due to human health consern issues.only plant derived materials are allowed and sold like soy meal and alfa alfa

boss is black oil sunflower seeds...

and all of the feedstores around here sell koi pellets, but i buy from fish store by bulk... 40 bucks for a 50lb bag... the feedstore has it for 2 bucks a pound... i throw in ten pounds per every 50 pounds of bird feed... i don't trust the feedstore koi fish food... it's not fresh, and doesn't come with the ingredients or nutritional facts...

sunflower seeds are a very good idea . i use them as treats for the pheasants (they go crazy for them the will eat them out of my hand ). will definatelly try them for protein
.i have 4 koi in my duck ponds for a year now. they are doing fine and growing larger than my ducks i feed them tetra stick koi food that is quite expensive. all pet stores sell bulk koi food around here too will see how much it costs ,never tried it but it too is a good idea since protein from many sourses will be more balanched in its aminoacid levels . thanks again for the tips

do all grains make the body temperature rise in chickens? or is it just certain ones like corn?

Quote:
That is absolutely, positively false. An old wivestale. No grain when consumed will raise body temp. This has been proven over and over and over.

Quote:
That is absolutely, positively false. An old wivestale. No grain when consumed will raise body temp. This has been proven over and over and over.

i'm a chicken newb, but i know that wasn't true when i first heard it...

but if you want to warm them up, give them some hot cereal or warm oats... i did that for my young chicks outside... it was cold and i felt bad on their first night out...

also, the koi fish food is a trick that the pigeon dudes told me about... the oils in the food and protein is good for feather growth and color... well that's what i was told...

Back
Top Bottom