Grainy specks on outside of shell and in egg whites

chicken jedi

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 20, 2013

Does anyone know what is causing these grainy specks on the shell as well as dispersed in the white of the egg? Often when this starts, her eggshells get very thin and easy to break. Any info would be so appreciated??

Interesting that they coincide with thin shells....shell gland malfunction.
Tell us more about your flock and..... what and how exactly you are feeding.

This is the tag from the food we use, it's soy free organic layer feed from Scratch and Peck feed. The flock has food, calcium, and grit available to them 24/7. We clean the coop daily, the 13 hens free range as well. I hope this helps.

Here are images of the white and yolk of the egg with the same granules that are on the outside of the egg. I'm stumped. She seems healthy otherwise.

This is the tag from the food we use, it's soy free organic layer feed from Scratch and Peck feed. The flock has food, calcium, and grit available to them 24/7. We clean the coop daily, the 13 hens free range as well. I hope this helps.

Are you offering or adding calcium...in what form and how?
Is it just one bird that lays these?
If so, it's an individual bird issue rather than a diet issue.
Have had a couple birds that consistently lay/laid pebbled or thin shelled eggs,
so it was something in their individual systems that wan't processing the calcium effectively.

Interesting that you have such dark yolks with a corn free feed.
Have a buddy that raises corn-free birds, yolks are almost white, but they are confined in tractor so not as many greens as your free rangers.

Did anything come of this? I'm having the same issue with one of my girls. Same feed, same supplements, same everything except a smaller flock of 6.

Bet you anything it’s a disease or virus. Many chicken viruses can attack the reproductive organs such as the shell glad.
Not feed related.
Is it a new thing or has this particular hen always laid this way?

This is an old thread.

Did anything come of this? I'm having the same issue with one of my girls. Same feed, same supplements, same everything except a smaller flock of 6.
What supplements?

Bet you anything it’s a disease or virus. Many chicken viruses can attack the reproductive organs such as the shell glad.
Not feed related.
Is it a new thing or has this particular hen always laid this way?
Possible, but not likely.

Back
Top Bottom