Gram negative rods in crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babowman3, Jan 3, 2014.

1. babowman3

babowman3 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Barred Rock had been isolating herself for a few days. Yesterday became very lethargic. Crop big and doughy. I got some VetRx and electrolyte water in her. Brought her to my old horse vet. Gram stained the fluid from the crop-gram neg rods. Got her some antibiotics and some reglan to get the crop moving. Today she's perked up. Crop is smaller but still squishy. Shes having large poops though.

So today one of my RSLs that's been hanging out in the coop the last two days was lethargic. Have her inside as well. Shes not quite as bad off as my BR was. But forcing electrolyte water down her. Her crop is pretty doughy too.

My EE is still energetic but has been spending a lot of time in the coop. Have her inside as a precaution and giving her water and yogurt with probiotics.

So. (Hopefully) these girls pull through and I can put them back out with the rest of my flock. Will I have to integrate them like new hens? Or will the flock remember them.

They are all 19 weeks. No laying yet. We are also expanding their pen to 20x20. Right now its 10x10 for 11 chickens. Will them being sick impact them laying in the near future?

Should I disinfect my coop?

Thanks guys. I'm so sick about this. I lost my first flock to predators. I don't want to loose these guys. I love them all so much. I've been feeling crops and all feel normal. Could feel the feed they had just ate. Guess I'll have to just keep an eye on them.

I'm a night shift nurse and I have to work this weekend. I can't stand not being with my babies although the hubby will keep an eye on them.

=/

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What antibiotic is she on?

-Kathy

3. babowman3

THANK YOU for replying. Shes on Orbax.

The RSL is now drinking on her own. Yay! EE still looks mad which is her norm lol.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Orbax, that's pretty new, I think. Probably a great drug for those nasty gram negative bacteria. Glad she is better.

-Kathy

5. babowman3

I'm just praying this doesn't spread in the entire flock. Where does gram negs come from? Are they usually fecal bugs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by