Grand daughter's pet chicken dead

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by panner123, Oct 12, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I haven't a clue as to what killed this chicken. No outward signs at an attack or blood, it just liiks like something sat on it. [​IMG] Everything was fine when I looked in on them this morning. When I went to collect the eggs about 4 this afternoon, the hen was dead. My grand daughter will be here in the morning looking for this hen. When she can't find it, my name will be mud. She has had this hen for about 5 years and whenever she comes here, the hen knows and causes a fuss until she goes down to pick it up. I told the wife I am going fishing and she can deal with the tears.[​IMG]

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    [​IMG] Sorry for the loss of the hen and I am sure she will understand that it wasnt your fault...sometimes they just do that..I have had some do that and dont know why either...perfectlly fine hens just keel over in the coop. Some says its wormoverload but who knows...Sorry again for the loss and she will understand.

3. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    The normal life expectancy of a hen is 7 years or so (although they can live much longer, it's not usual that they do). It's possible your hen just died of old age. Five is respectable, if not ancient.

Keep an eye out on your other birds, of course, just in case there are symptoms you may have missed. Look at poo, and make sure everyone is eating and active. Outside of that, I think it might be scary to for a little girl to be told "we don't know what caused your hen to die," just because then it might seem as if things like that could happen to anyone (even grandma!)at any time. Of course they can, but--depending on your granddaughter's age--you may not want her to have to face that sort of chaos-of-life, yet.

It might be kindest to your granddaughter to explain that the life expectancy of chickens is different, and that you suspect her hen probably died of old age. If you hatch eggs or order chicks in the spring, you might suggest that your granddaughter could help you with that... help pick out chicks to order, or help with hatching and brooding.

It's always tough to lose a favorite hen, and even tougher when the loss is felt keenly by a little one.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That's a good response from windy ridge, ask for her help with other chicken stuff. Please skip the fishing and help your wife deal with the tears, it will mean alot to your grandaughter

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Maybe you can have a burial service. Tell her what Windy Ridge said about the life span of chickens and that the hen died of old age peacefully after a happy life knowing your granddaughter's love.
    Then have a ceremony and bury the hen and maybe make a headstone. If she hasn't seen the hen in a while, it will be easier for her to handle it than if the hen DFO-ed while your granddaughter was there playing with her.

Then after the ceremony, take her (your granddaughter) fishing with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by