Grandma brought a chick home!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mom2KKMT, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Mom2KKMT

Mom2KKMT New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    My Mom brought my daughter a 3 day old baby chick home. I have never raised chickens. We converted a dog pen into a brooder by putting small metal mesh around it. I got it all done and Nugget as my daughter named her found a little hole and tried to jump out. I went and got a heat lamp and bedding. I was worried that Nugget was not warm enough but she has calmed down since the heat lamp has warmed up. I have to go in the morning and get her some more food and a hanging feeder/watering bowl. How did the breeder know it is a hen? I am really worried about Nugget not making it because it will break my daughter heart. Do we need to get another chicken or is she okay being the only one? We are zoned to have 5 but I don't want that many. Thanks in advance.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    First of all [​IMG]

Some breeders know how to sex baby chicks, either by vent sexing or feather sexing, neither of which I got the hang off yet LOL
    It would be better if you can get Nugget a friend or 2 to keep her company. Chickens are social creatures and get very lonely by themselves. If you can get just one more chick it would be good.

Here's an excellent thread on raising chicks that you can look at:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

Enjoy your new chicken adventure!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Give the chick a shallow water dish with rocks or marbles in it so they don't drown themselves. Until you can get her a couple chick buddies, give her a small stuffed animal and a small mirror. She's gonna need a couple friends. They won't need a hanging feeder for a couple months or more. There are some breeds that can be sexed from birth and if the birds originally came from a hatchery, you can order all males or all females.

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

she defiantly needs a friend even one will do.

5. Mom2KKMT

Mom2KKMT New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    I went and got Nugget a chick water bowl thing and feeder. I talked to my Mom today and she is going to pick up another chick on her way home from work tomorrow. Nugget seems to be doing pretty well. I have to remind my daughter to put her back into her house because she will hold her all.day.long if I don't. At first I was not too excited about another animal but now I can't wait to watch Nugget grow. My husband just told me I am going to turn into the crazy chicken lady.

6. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    I never had chickens either until recently, mine are almost 6 weeks old and i've loved the experience so far. Mine are so affectionate and fun to watch and who knew they would have such personalities. Everyday I learn something new and this web site has been a God send because the books tell you all kinds of stuff. I tend to follow the advice of those on this forum. Good luck.

7. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    yes get her a friend now whilst she is a little one as it gets a bit more difficult to integrate chucks when theyre older [not impossible with most chucks,just a bit more difficult due to establishing pecking orders and chest puffing].

congratulations on becoming a mothering hen.:p
    every single one of us were new to chicken mothering at some point,no one is born a chicken mum so everyone is on the same level here-just at different stages in experience.:cd

make use of BYC for learning about them,and also remember the forum if ever have any issues,questions etc.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by