Grandma Chicken 11 years old, RIP

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BunnyMomma, Sep 17, 2011.

1. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    Hi,
    Sad news. Thursday my Golden Retreiver/English Shepherd puppy killed my Grandma chicken. She didn't break her skin, but I think her back was broken. 11 years ago I ordered my first batch of chicks from Murray McMurray, Grandma was one of the chicks. She is the only one of my original flock. She was a silver seabright. She has always been protected by my other dogs, but my new dog Gracie, must have decided she was a toy and she injured Grandma. I punished her, because I caught her in the act. I don't think she'll attack another chicken.
    When Grandma died today my four year old Granddaughter cried so hard that I just broke down and cried along with her. I told her that my Momma needed eggs to make pound cakes with in Heaven. We buried her with our other pets that have passed on. I will miss her. She was intelligent, a good mother to all the new chickens and a true part of our family.
    She shared the meaning of life and death with my Granddaughter and I thank her for that. My GDaughter even went out to give Gracie a hug to forgive her for killing Grandma chicken.
    We loved you Granny!
    [​IMG]

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

RIP Grandma. She lived a fine long life here, especially since she is loved so much and so well!!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Awe, I'm so so sorry to hear this!! [​IMG]

4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    How touching... Thanks for sharing. sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss, she sounded like such a special chicken...

6. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    What a magnificent chicken! It looks like she had a strong presence. Sorry to hear of your loss [​IMG]

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Just goes to show. How long well cared for birds can live. Who knows how much longer had tragedy not struck. So sorry for Grandma! She was beautiful

People never believe me when I tell them chickens can live that long if they are cared for properly. Good for you and good for Grandma! May she RIP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by