Grandma is on a mission!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenSahib, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Hey All,

My Grandma is on a serious mission to find a chicken that she wants.

Apparently it's a bright orange chicken, more reddish than yellowish (Maybe like an orange but with a hue of red?) , that has a high stature.

I have no clue what she is referring to, but she's seen them in Herat, Afghanistan if that helps any.

I've tried showing her BOs and RIRs, but she isn't agreeing.

I'll take any suggestions at this point because she keeps mentioning it almost every time I see her.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
  3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Sounds like she's describing a game breed, as they are tall birds. Possibilities include Malays, Asils, Thai Game Fowl, Burmese Game Fowl, and many other game breeds. The color she's describing is possibly similar to Black Breasted Red.

This thread has a pair from Afghanistan and I believe the general concensus was Asil.

Good luck, and I hope your grandma finds the breed she wants! [​IMG]

4. ChickenSahib

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    I'm so happy that y'all have more breed knowledge than I do. I'll be sure to show her these!!!

Thank you soo much [​IMG]

But where to get these types of birds? Chickens are relatively easy to find...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:The color can be found in game fowl. American game birds that have the color are called Pumpkin Hulsey. The color can be lighter or darker on birds. If a person had the correct genes in a pair of birds they can create the color. I have a few that are the orange color- they are not game birds. The variety still needs some work.

click on the link.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&..._sm=s&gs_upl=4612l4612l0l6033l1l1l0l0l0l0l252

Tim

6. ChickenSahib

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    This just keeps getting better and better!!

Thank you Tim for the valuable information.

Just realized, is it only the cocks (is that the correct term, even for gamefowl?) that have the vibrant colors or can the females (I'll just use female instead of hens since I'm not sure) also?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yes, usually the hens are more drab and not flashy. The cocks or stags have the bright showy colors.

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:The females will be a similar color- they will not be a bright orange color. The females are more of an orange wheaten color.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by