1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grandma Smith's Sugar Cookies (the BEST!)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by miss_jayne, Mar 6, 2009.

1. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    CATTRAY44 graciously shared this family recipe with me today. my children and husband have gorged themselves on this fantastic treat!

Grandma Pauline Smith's Sugar Cookies

1 C. Shortening or Lard (i used lard)
    2 C. Packed Brown Sugar
    2 Eggs
    1 C. Buttermilk
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    (i used real homemade vanilla the CATRAY44 makes...so good!)
    1 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. baking soda
    4 1/2 C. All Purpose Flour

(this is how i made the recipe, contact CATTRAY44 for any questions as she is the cookie master! [​IMG])

Whip lard until light and fluffy. Add brown sugar and cream. Add eggs one at a time while whipping until light. Mix in vanilla. Mix in buttermilk until well incorporated.

Mix salt, baking soda & flour together in a separate bowl. Add to wet mixture one third at a time. Mix until incorporated.

Cover bowl and chill for at least 1 hr.

Preheat oven to 375*.
    Roll cookie dough out on well floured surface about 1/4 -1/2" thick. Cut with floured cookie cutter. Place six on baking sheet and bake for about 9-11 minutes. (Until edges are barely toasty brown and the center of the cookie does not hold a finger print.)

Let sit for one minute on baking sheet, remove to cooling rack. Cool completely. Store in sealed container/plastic bag.

Better the second day, but good anytime!

Thank You, CAT for sharing this family treasure! Our family will be passing it down also!

[​IMG]

2. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks now I'm hungry [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] the cookies do look good !!!!!

3. Donnadzitall

Donnadzitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Granite Falls WA
    Jeeze,
    those look gooood. How do you make real homemade vanilla? Is it the vanilla bean way? Dooo tell! My daughter will love this recipe. [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:it's very expensive to make. pm CATTRAY44 for the price to send some to you. (it would be way cheaper than making it yourself.)

and it's so good! i don't think i'd buy any other brand ever again. it's Cat's Vanilla for me! [​IMG]

this recipe is wonderful, and the texture is very smooth.

some i sprinkled with Raw Sugar before baking. delectable.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    look Lady Jane! I am trying to loose weight here! Do you mind! UGH! [​IMG] *heehe, they look yummy though!* [​IMG]

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:well, instead of using an electric mixer, stir it all by hand. then you can eat about 50 cookies and not feel guilty!

and they were yummy! [​IMG]

7. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Oh my those sound good

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:well, instead of using an electric mixer, stir it all by hand. then you can eat about 50 cookies and not feel guilty!

and they were yummy! [​IMG]

hey! theres an idea! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by