Grandma's National #7 Pressure Canner...now what?

TammyTX

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
Yesterday my dad gave me my grandma's pressure cooker/canner. I even have the original manual with my grandma's note written inside that said my grandpa gave the canner to her for Christmas 1947 (that note squeezed my heart!).

I know there is a place online to order parts, do you think I should just replace all parts to be safe?

Isn't there someplace I'm supposed to take the canner to be checked?

Is that a good brand of canner?

Here is a source for parts for your National #7 cooker. You should find your local agriculture extention service (if you are in the USA) or ask around at local hardware stores to see if they will test it for you. For a cooker this age, I would be sure to have it tested before you try to use it. If the pressure regulator works fine, all you may need is a new rubber gasket.

http://www.cookingandcanning.net/national.html

Last edited:
I just bought one today at a yard sale. In good order! It also had the original booklet with it. I didn't find many parts. A seal, a plate/rack for the bottom, but not much else. Only replace what needs replacing. The booklet describes replacing the seal by removing it and flipping it over then reinstalling it. If it has dry rot, then replace it. Congratulations!

I have two, which I purchased used when I was much younger. I don't use them often, but they are sure nice to have for canning some things that can't be done in a water bath. I've never had mine tested, but I probably should do that.

The only extra item I use is the rack that fits inside the cooker that lifts up and down. You fill it with jars and then lower to cook and raise it when removing the jars.

I've learned to let the pressure cooker cool down to where I can place my hand on it before opening. If you open it too soon, the juices in the jars sort of boils and quite a bit gets sucked out, leaving the contents up out of the liquid. Sometimes food particles also get sucked out, sometimes sticking under the rubber seal of the lid, causing sealing failure. By allowing it to cool more (sometimes even over night) it does not do this.

We have a store near here (Swains in Port Angeles, WA) that stocks the seals, plugs, and such. You might find extra fixtures at a good thrift store or yard/garage sales. you could also post an ad on one of the "for sale" sites such as Craigslist. You will know when the seal is shot... the pressure does not build up, but escapes around the lid. Turning the seal over will often fix that. If not, of course it is time for a new seal.

A lot of the canners are the same exact size, and use the same seal and plug. Some of the weights are wobblers, some you can remove the amount of pressure with a turn screw. The turn screw is handy if it gets too hot, but the wobbler type work just as well. The pressure is adjusted with the heat regulator of your burners...

Just a quick crash course... hope it helps.

Enjoy your canner................. they are great.

Back
Top Bottom