Grandmother Hen adopts 18!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Huggerlady, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Huggerlady

Huggerlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    WY
    [​IMG]
    She's no spring chicken! Her name is Ginger and she went to a 4H show in 2005. She hatched out chicks a few times successfully and was a darling Mother. She is almost blind now and she's lost her "top hen" although she does still attempt to hold it, it's just sad to watch. I hand feed her scratch and would often find her alone and pushed away. I bought 18, 5 weeks to 2 month old pullets and decided to see how she would fare with them. It's been amazing to witness her take on her new role. She even snuggled and nuzzeled me and quickly squished her tail. So adorable! Nothing in the world like being a happy grandma! When I check on them they are always almost completely quiet and surrounding her. It's very sweet. She loves the heat! [​IMG]
    She's an clean face Americauna. Last egg was on Christmas at age 9, she is 12 this spring.
    Just wanted to share my joy with you all because I know you understand how very precious some of these chickens are.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a beautiful grandma. She just doesn't like empty nest syndrome. I don't either

4. Huggerlady

Feb 17, 2016
    WY
    Thank you but oops I am a repeat lurker, lol
    I switched to desktop to get my avatar up and ended up
    With new notifications. I've been around here off n on as long as Ginger is old :)

5. Huggerlady

Feb 17, 2016
    WY
    I hear you drumstick! They say animals pick up on our emotions and actions. In this case I can only hope I've done her right. I am so attached to her that I was thinking of moving her into the house in a dog kennel. I just don't like how mean the others have been. I wonder what the oldest chicken this group has seen is. Everyday is special now, it's so silly of me but I just can't help it.

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Very nice story about Ginger. It sounds like she is doing well with the "grandchildren"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by