Grandpa Feeder help!

Eastbaymama

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
I love love this feeder, although my chickens love to stand on it and poop on the cover where you put the food in. There's poop that collects in the lip above the opening and I'm thinking it falls in when it is opened. I'm having to clean it every few days. Is there something I can put on top of the cover so they won't stand on it?

I love love this feeder, although my chickens love to stand on it and poop on the cover where you put the food in. There's poop that collects in the lip above the opening and I'm thinking it falls in when it is opened. I'm having to clean it every few days. Is there something I can put on top of the cover so they won't stand on it?

Did you ever find a good solution to this problem? I just got one of these feeders yesterday and immediately they jumped on top. Everything else about it seems great!

Worse, that poop is highly corrosive. Dig around looking for rusted grandpa feeder and you will find plenty of pictures. A poop build up also can divert water into the feed tray.

The problem with that design is that due to the lid raising up over the chicken's head you can't just add something to prevent perching on the feeder. Either it is going to prevent the lid from opening physically or the amount of weight needed to open the feeder increases.

Worse, you just added overhead weight to a guillotine style chicken feeder. WCGW? One of the reasons why they don't increase the weight to prevent rats from pushing the lid open is safety, the lighter the lid the safer it is when a bird gets its head caught by the closing door.

Back
Top Bottom