Grandpa Munster in my Barnyard

JillsChicks

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
Western NY
Our chicks are now six weeks old and we try to guess each day which will be hens, which will be roos. They are mutts that we hatched in an incubator.

I'll try to post pics later, but can anyone tell me for now if they've ever had a chicken that has almost no comb or wattles, but has ear tufts, fast feathering and is large in size start to "crow" at five weeks? I have two others who look much more like roos but do not crow, but this one is clearly the dominant bird though it looks nothing like a rooster! As a matter of fact "she" looks just like Grandpa Munster!

Breeds in the breeding barnyard included Araucana, White leghorn, Plymouth Rock, Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons and Delawares.

Ann and Jill, who daily chant, "Be a hen... be a hen... be a hen..."

Well.....without pics....
hmm.png
I can try to give a guess...sounds to me like a mix..with Australorp. They have the rose comb.

definintly 1/2 Araucana with the pea comb and tufts. as for the other half, it could be either one of your other breeds as they are straight combed. pea comb bred to straight comb produces both type combs, same as tufted bred to smooth face, some will show the tufts and some won't. without a color giveaway it would be hard to tell..

Pics will come by Monday evening, I hope. Thanks. No where can I find a definition for a pea comb, but I'm assuming it's small...Ann

Also wanted to post a photo of Grandpa Munster in this thread. Funny resemblance, huh? He/She's six weeks old and "crowing."

056_56Small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom