Grandpa's Stuff Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KNAndrs, Sep 27, 2011.

1. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    So my Grandpa died almost 2 years ago and we have started cleaning out his house and getting everything looking good for my brother who is living in the house. My wife and I went through the basement and looked at some cool stuff and found some bits and pieces to put together an incubator. Take a look at what I call Grandpa's Stuff Incubator.

The basic setup. Lot's of bits and pieces coming together.

[​IMG]

More details on the inside. Light in the corner has tin surrounding it to protect the Styrofoam.

[​IMG]

Wiring pictures, I know not all that safe, but it will be in the corner and I will be the only one around to look at it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the window on the top.

[​IMG]

Just waiting for everything to settle in and even out. Anything I need to add?

Thanks,
    Pastor Ken

2. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    My one hour test with a 25 watt bulb varied from 102-94, I upped the wattage to 60 watts and got a turn around at 104-97. I adjusted the temp down slightly and got a high of 100, but it crept up to 102 after a couple minutes. The turn on was at 95.

I may look for a 40 watt bulb tomorrow afternoon and see if I can't get temps of 101-97.

I do need to add some humidity and an upper vent hole, so I will wait till I do that to try something else. I may modify my thermostat to include some vent holes, and add some rocks to retain heat.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

PK

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    How close to you have your lights to your HWThemo switch? When I was working on my Tankobator someone suggested the HWT be close to the bulbs (like 1/2" to 1") away so you would get faster cycles and more stable temps.

Also did you drill more holes in it? That super helped me. Looks awesome BTW!![​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:This is true the closer the HW thermo switch is to the light bulb the more stable the temp will be and a faster cycle time. My homemade incubator stays around 99 to 100 degrees.

6. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    The thermostat is roughly 14" away from the heat source and has the fan blowing in front of it.

I am going to add somethings to it and set up the bator where I am going to use it and then test run it for a couple of days. I may even see if I can borrow a wiggler to check internal temps.

I will add a couple of rocks to the bator and some water to see if that will help the temp variations, before moving the thermostat.

Thanks,
    PK

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    You need to keep the thermostat very close to the heat source. Here is a picture. [​IMG] This is my fridge-incubator.

8. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    This gives me more of an idea about how to arrange things in my Craft-o-Bator.....where does the humidity source go? As in, if air flow goes: fan, bulb, thermostat, does the humidity source go between fan and bulb, bulb and tstat, or somewhere else entirely?

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Are you talking to me, my water source for humidity is a big pan on the bottom of the fridge incubator.

10. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Quote:Are you talking to me, my water source for humidity is a big pan on the bottom of the fridge incubator.

Oops, forgot to mention you by name or quote your post. Having to do all this on my phone must be making me forget my manners. Yes, and thank you for the answer.....I need to work some on our bator tomorrow and was confused about how to arrange everything, but I have a plan now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by