1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Grandpa's Treadle feeder vs. chicken condo feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caweis, Feb 16, 2015.

1. caweis

caweis In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Norfolk, VA
    My husband and I were about to make the $200 investment in the Grandpa's Treadle Feeder (after a lot of deliberation) and then we found the Chicken Condo Feeder for about $100 less. (found it cheapest on wise pet supplies $99 + $20 shipping)) My hesitation is that I can not find a single review for this item. While I would love to save the money I only want to if it is a quality product. Has anyone out there used this item by chance? I have a feeling we may end up with Grandpa's feeder anyway but thought it was worth asking around.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. caweis

caweis In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Norfolk, VA
    I would also be interested in hearing feedback about the Grandpa's Treadle feeder if any of you have used that as well.

3. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Songster

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I have a Grandpa's feeder and I love it. I think the main difference, having looked at both when I was shopping for one, is that the Grandpa's feeder is water/weather resistant and the Condo one isn't. So if yours will be in the coop itself or somewhere else that is entirely safe from rain, go for the cheaper one.

4. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK In the Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    I bought a one of the taller treadle feeders. Not exactly the same as the condo ones, but very similar. They are good, but as someone said, they are best suited under cover. I found that they needed to be on bricks or paving stones to make sure they were level otherwise they tended to be a bit top-heavy and I was worried they might fall. They are great for my 'teenagers". I then bought some "chooketerias" which are very similar to the grandpa feeders. Brilliant! They have been left out in the rain and mud in the paddock for two years now and they are like new. Took the chooks a while to figure out how to operate them...my girls obviously not the brightest....but now I hear the lid open and shut all day long.

5. caweis

caweis In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Norfolk, VA
    Do you mind sharing what brand you bought that is similar to grandpa's?

Thanks for your insite!!

6. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Songster

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
  7. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK In the Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Sorry, am literally just off to work for the day. I will take some photos when I get home tonight if that helps? The one I like is called a "chooketeria".

1 person likes this.
  8. alldembirds

alldembirds Songster

Oct 19, 2013
    quick google search will find the chooketeria

9. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Songster

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Ah, interesting. Priced right in the middle. I still prefer the Grandpa's though (which prevents eating from the side and billing out).

10. Naser

Naser Songster

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    X2
    I have 2 treadle feeders
    It is worth looking at trigger happy chicken feeder. very cheap and they should work. " I bought two but I haven't installed them yet"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: