Grant me patience, and give it to me NOW!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikki1, Jan 28, 2012.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    So...

Hubby and I are finalizing our coop plans (I mentally flipped the house part 90 degrees today driving to town. Better fill DH in!), I've already done my price comparing on building supplies, and now await my February paycheck to buy out the home store.

Oh, and have I mentioned that I HATE WAITING! [​IMG] This is driving me NUTS! I've been so (apparently) patient since August when we moved into our new place, and the strain is getting to me. And what has finally pushed me over the edge? A sign outside a local feed store reading, "Pre-Order Chicks Now!" I WANT MY FLUFFY BABIES!!!

How do people cope with this whole waiting thing? I think actually preordering, either from the catalog or the feed store would push me completely over the edge, and I think my hubby would have me institutionalized for ordering chicks when we've not even nailed 2 boards together yet. (Might also get him off his butt to get building, too. Hmmm..) Any other ideas? Surely I'm not the only one to ever go through this!

I have chicken envy. Please help me!

--Nikki [​IMG]

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Waiting stinks, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

You're in for a world of hurt waiting for your first eggs...;)

3. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

You're not alone. My coop is about 7/8ths done and with chicks not arriving until April, I considered getting a few full grown layers just to get into the swing of things ASAP but now I understand that might be a horrible idea as combining chickens isn't an easy task.

Cant believe hot long a wait it's going to b

Scott

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    My coop is currently six posts and a roof. I'm unpatiently waiting, too. I have 34 chicks on the way and six other chickens living in tractors at the moment. I WANT MY CHICKS TO HATCH NOW SO I CAN HOLD THEM AND KISS THEM AND RUB MY CHEEKS WITH THEIR FLUFF but I have to WAIT and I don't WANT TO!! They will be here on the 11th and I have no other choice but to wait but it SUCKS. *folds arms like she is two and pouts as if that will make them hatch faster*
    I need to take a moment and memorize the Serenity Prayer.

I'm thankful for all I have and how much I'm getting in the next few weeks. I just need to remind myself I am much closer to having my coop and babies than I was a year ago or a few weeks ago or even a day ago. But sometimes it's hard to realize anything but how there are still eggs in the incubator and no hatchlings in my brooder.

5. tash

tash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    i have been waiting for YEARS. can't have chickens in an apartment with no yard, can't have chickens in an apartment with a yard, now we have our own house and a huge yard and what now? no coop. and I can't get supplies myself because i drive a pruis. have to wait until husband has enough time off work to go to the store with me AND has the desire to enable me with getting chickens......

6. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    [​IMG]

I am right there with you on the waiting thing. We're going to be moving sometime this year, so we are waiting until that happens to get my fuzzy butts. Had poultry growing up and showed them in 4-H for years. Went off and did the college/grad school thing and now am patiently waiting until I can start back in again.

Meanwhile, I'm living vicariously through everyone here on this forum!

[​IMG]

7. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Grant me patience NOW? Ha! Now THAT'S a bit of irony! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by