granular sweet pdz vs powdered pds

Zoom Zoom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Rolla, MO
I hope I haven't done something wrong! I just read in another post that one shouldn't use the powdered sweet PDZ because it can cause respiratory problems. Our local feed store doesn't carry the granular, only powdered, so I bought a 40 lb bag. Two weeks ago I cleaned out my girl's coop: scrubbed it down good, put down a fresh bale of pine shavings, lots of DE and about 20 lbs of powdered PDZ. Was this a mistake? Should I remove everything and start over?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone uses powdered sevin (the stuff us use in the garden). Someone told me they use it in their coop and on their chicks - a very, very small amount. I sprinkled a tiny bit in the bedding (maybe a tsp in an 8X8 coop), but not on the chicks.

Advice will be greatly appreciated by this novice chick mom.

DE also carries the same warning. For us as well as the chickens. This is quite a dilemma, because trying to remove it may cause more dust in the air than just letting it be. I guess it depends on how large the coop is and whether the chickens get confined to the coop and scratch there.

Hopefully my reply will move your question to more experienced viewers.

If you have a tractor supply, they carry the granules.

My coop is 8X8. The chicks are only in it at night. I open the coop as soon as it's daylight so they are in the run mornings and I let them free range in the afternoon - starting at noon. I'm sure they will spend more time in the coop once the weather turns nasty. I plan to add another bale of pine shavings in a month or so for added warmth so will lay it on top of what's already there unless I'm advised to start over without the powder. Wish we did have a Tractor Supply but MFA is our only source. I found that I can order the granular from Amazon though.

I am a novice at flock raising, but an experienced over-worrier. And personally would take as much out as I could, order the granular PDZ to have on hand. PDZ doesn't have to be added until you need it - smells, moisture.

I don't think anyone can predict if this will be a problem. Since you're in a area where the chickens will be hanging out in the coop in bad weather, bet they'll be scratching and stirring it up. And bet you'll continue to be concerned, no matter if someone tells you it's ok. Or worse, if it has an adverse effect on your flock, it would be too late to discuss?

Since they are currently only roosting there, you have time to remove it…make sure to wear a mask.

Good luck.

Oh - I have worrying down to a science but in some cases, it's a good thing! I couldn't stand the thought that the powdered PDZ might harm my chicks so spent the entire afternoon emptying the coop and cleaning everything - used shop-vac then damp cloth on everything including the windows, sills, walls, every nook and cranny. Think I can get a good nights sleep tonight.

Watching my chickens it seems that dust is one their very favorite things. I did use the powdered PDZ and I can't see it being a problem. I did however switch to the granular form because it behaved better and was easier for me to work with.

Back
Top Bottom