grapenuts cereal ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mom2jedi, Nov 22, 2009.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I was given an almost empty box of grapenuts cereal which my family doesn't eat. Would it be safe to feed it to my 7wk and 3wk chicks? Or would they be too difficult to digest? I don't have any grit yet, should I wait till they have it available before I give it to them? Normally I wouldn't even question good cereal (not the sugary/colored stuff) but grapenuts are so hard I wondered if it would be okay.

Thanks so much!

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Good question, perhaps not the younger ones but I would try and feed a small amount to the 7 wk olds and then see how they handle it. my gut with older hens is yea go for it, but I just don't see a problem.

AL

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think it's OK, but you can cook Grapenuts like any hot cereal, if it makes you feel better about it.

Imp

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

IMO I think it would be fine for the youngers as well, a little for a treat, although I would be "salting" their food w/pinches of fine grit. Grape Nuts (an old favorite of mine) is a pretty basic cereal. Of course I gave an occasional bug to my girls when they were tiny, so I don't see it as a big deal. But if you have concerns, I'd err on the side of caution...

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    make a warm mash out of it, that way it is softer.....

6. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I don't know about the younger ones, but I gave it to my flock which included young ones (believe they were about 8-9 weeks old then). Mine do have grit available and are also out in a run everyday.

7. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Just thought I'd give an update, waited a little while before feeding them just because I hadn't gotten around to it... they went nuts for it! It was like catnip for chickens! Very amusing and also a little tricky as they started figuring out the yummy stuff was coming out of the box I was holding and kept trying to knock it out of my hands!

8. John8404

John8404 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2009
    For me, eating grapenuts is eating grit. That stuff is hard...Sometimes I need a gizzard.

9. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:First of all [​IMG] ! That's really funny though, that's why we don't eat them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by