Grapes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by montverdechick, Mar 20, 2007.

1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    We are thinking of growing some muscadine grape vines over the chicken run. Anyone know if they are safe for the chickens to eat, as they might be able to get to the fruit? What about the leaves?

Thanks.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My chickens love grapes! I have to cut them in half though because I have a couple that are hoggish and almost choke on them whole. [​IMG]
    Not too sure about the leaves, though.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chickens are pretty smart so as long as they aren't starving, they shouldn't eat any thing poisonous. I doubt grape leaves would be bad for them if they decided to take a nibble. Don't some people eat grape leaves?

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You're right!! Greek food.

5. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Grape leaves wrapped around rice or cheese drizzled with olive oil is yummy!

6. BalancedCAmom

BalancedCAmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    My chickens love grape leaves and grapes. I have 4 different types, muscat is one of them, I think muscadines are the same family, sweeter white grapes? My girls love them, mine also run along the fencing to their hen house. No worries

7. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks. I'm glad to know that they will be safe and they will enjoy them. I also gave the meal worms for the first time today. Took a minute or two to get used to them, but then they had a blast!!

8. home solar

home solar Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Southern Colorado
    Awesome info, thanks! I'm looking at various types of grapes that do well in our area to grow over the coop wire for shade...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by