graphic*** dead chick any ideas as to cause?

MamacitaGallina

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Lexington, Kentucky
Last night and this morning this little one was doing well. It was about half zipped when I went to bed at 8:30am. The kiddos told me that it was still moving around noon...but I didn't check it. When I did, at 2pm, it was too late. No movement so I took it out of the incubator and started to peel off the shell. It had made it about 3/4 of the way round. I thought maybe it had gotten its head stuck under the membrane and suffocated but after looking at its abdomen wasn't so sure. So.... do any experts out there want to enlighten this newbie?
1193107559_photobucket_97217_.jpg

Thanks Smith Farm. I am starting to think that I've had the humidity up too high because after the initial rush to hatch, the ones that are left seem to be having problems. sigh.

That's the thing.... I don't know. We didn't have the money to get one. I was more worried about not having enough humidity... only to learn after the fact that high humidity is also bad. I think I'm going to have to cull another of its hatchmates. I don't think the very dark red mass is supposed to be on the outside of its body. This one started pipping Wed. night but as of this morning still hadn't zipped. Since it hadn't quit I took it out helped him of its shell off, wrapped it back up in a wet paper towel and put it back into the bator to see what would happen. It kicked the rest o its shell off within an hour but then just lay there crying. Thiat's when I saw the red mass. Any advice?
1193107559_photobucket_97275_.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it bled out through its umbilicus?IMO Ive had a few chicks do that in the past-they pip through a major vein and it doesnt stop bleeding:( sorry

Back
Top Bottom