GRAPHIC: need help identifying what I found in the coop this morning, possible egg yolk without shel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lmikulski, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lmikulski

lmikulski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    Ferndale, MI
    My Coop
    Series of pictures here: http://ferndalechickens.com/2013/01/12/graphic-abnormal-finding-in-the-coop/

I think it's an egg yolk, but I'm not sure about a few things:
    1.) the membrane is so red/bloody/vascular
    2.) there appear to be ova attached to what I'm assuming is the chalaze

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Does it indicate anything inherently wrong? The hens are acting happy and healthy, like nothing happened.

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Oh my! I have never seen anything like that before. Hopefully someone answers your question!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I haven't seen it myself, but I had an egg customer of mine report that she cracked an egg open to find a blood-red yolk.

I don't know if it was like yours, but I just assume it's like a blood "spot" on a yolk, but this one covers the entire yolk sack.

My girls were all well and normal, so it didn't worry me. As long as all of your girls are also well, I doubt you have anything to worry about. It's just one of the thousands of weird things hens leave behind in the nest boxes. Trust me - I've seen things that bear no resemblance to an egg.

4. lmikulski

Jul 27, 2010
    Ferndale, MI
    My Coop
    Thanks! Never heard of anything like it- I've seen yolks so dark they looked red, but never a red membrane. I'll keep an eye on them for the next few days to see if there are any changes.

5. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    It's an undeveloped egg connected to the other eggs in her ovaries. If you can find a video on that it shows the red covering breaks open and releases a yolk and then it goes throughout the rest of the process.

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Wowzers! Thanks for warning me about the *graphic* pics, I've never seen anything like it before.

7. Keric

Keric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    Wow, great documentation! Lots of great pictures from lots of angles. Good job. Hope you get your answer.

8. lmikulski

Jul 27, 2010
    Ferndale, MI
    My Coop
    Thanks! That was the part of the puzzle I was missing, I couldn't understand what the freakin' membrane was and why it was dragging other ova with it. I'll definitely hunt for a video.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by